Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Renouncing my Faith


I have to say, I hate the Dodgers. This is coming from a man who supported them since he was 5. This makes the length of service roughly 15 years. What makes a man turn away from a team after supporting mediocrity all of his life?


Stupidity for one, Frank McCourt bought the Dodgers and introduced me to Paul Depodesta. I guess I have to applaud Frank for changing my life in such a positive way, however I tend to believe Mr. Depodesta would have eventually found his way into my mind some way or another.

When the Dodgers hired Depodesta I picked up the book moneyball on recommendation of a friend. The book was great, in fact it's one of the best non- Palahniuk books I have ever read. The book however has no real philosophy as many people would believe. The book is a humorous journey through a season with Billy Beane. It does however act as the marijuana to a future drug addict . It gives you a taste of sabermetrics and left me at least wanting more.(Later I will write about Marijaunna not being a gateway drug, but come on its a good metaphor)

This lead to Baseball Prospectus among other things. Which filled me with a still continuing knowledge of new idea's, principles and progress. I am not a sabermetrician but I do like to spectate. I'm not a Taxi Driver either but I do know about the scum on New York city streets.

Eventually because of the war fought between sabermetrics and the guys who don't want to become irrelevant (JM), I began to adopt SOME of the theories as life lessons.

There is no good or evil, just perception.

People don't want to believe in the cold. They need warmth to facilitate a romantic. It doesn't matter the Earth is without a doubt more than 2000 years old because well, Jesus "Just feels better than that". No matter Darin Erstad is one of the worst 1st basemen in the league, he "Just feels better than that".

So when Frank McCourt fired Paul Depodesta I was upset. However much like Jesus's followers, I held out hope to find another messiah in the event that Depodesta missed the target of revolution.

Theo had other plans.

So today marks the day when all hope of returning to the Dodgers as a fan are diminished. In turn celebrates the birth of this blog.

Tyler Durden: Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

13 Comments:

Blogger haileysdad said...

my friend, I feel your pain. but never give up, if redsox or whitesox can win, we shall overcome...someday. as long as Ned flanders no, colletti leaves our farm alone, we'll be fine in time.
I have a few writings about dodgers at dodgerfool.blogsot.com. feel free to share your thoughts, maybe we can come up with something constructive. or just something to kill time until next season.
don't give up, if anything, Frank will die someday and will have to change ownership then.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Roscoe said...

don't give up, if anything, Frank will die someday and will have to change ownership then.
--------------------------------------
This cracked me up. It reminds me of a great qoute.

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generations grows up that is familiar with it."

10:53 PM  
Blogger Kelly-Monster said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Kelly-Monster said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Kelly-Monster said...

Though I'm not necessarily an active sports fan, even I can say that firing Depodesta was a general blow to the forces of intelligence. It's surprising that there is so much resistance for the simple logic behind Sabermetrics. You know what I say; screw the intangible, here's to the cold, heartless numbers.

10:55 PM  
Blogger slackfarmer said...

Oh, if it were only so easy. I've given up on the Dodgers many times. Written them off after the latest blunder (and in my book, canning Depo was a huge one). But, like the prodigal son, I return.

Maybe Neddy won't be so bad. Maybe he will. Maybe McCourt will fire him regardess.

Even if you plan very well, there's a lot of luck in baseball. Just as the downside of that hit the boys in blue last season, the next 88 could always be just around the corner.

11:36 PM  
Blogger slackfarmer said...

Damn it l0neybp / Ross / AngryMilton / Roscoe why do you keep changing your name?

How's Bakersfield and the acting career? And what the hell happened to Dodger Logs. I enjoyed the banter over there. Which reminds me, after Izzy's massive decline, I think I owe you a beer and nachos.

12:02 AM  
Blogger Roscoe said...

Hey slack,

DodgerLogs went under due to computer problems and lack of interest. I've realized too many things piss me off not to have a forum to talk about them. I really want to stress the idea of group involement because if I wanted to hear myself talk I wouldnt need a blog. I know most of you have blogs of your own but if anyone else wants to have a place to say something no matter what it is, please contact me and i'll put it up and we'll discuss it.

The acting career is going along slowly. The movie I was cast in has been pushed back till next summer and the theatre school had rules against working so i had to go away from that. Really lol i'm sitting at my house doing nothing (not working or going to school) waiting to go to school next semester.

I figured you'd argue Izzy's injury as cause for his decline (might be correct). How about double or anothing just to make sure?

Yea hope to get the dodgerlogs type banter over here.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Yeri said...

"the war fought between sabermetrics and the guys who don't want to become irrelevant"

Just wanted to say, that was a great line. Very true. I just wish more people would realize that.

Oh, and I feel your pain. The McCourts did a great thing in hiring Depo, but lacked the insight to follow through.

8:01 AM  
Blogger haileysdad said...

you can tell me jeff weaver will give more innings/season and i'll agreee, but to say jeff weaver will win more games than Washburn I need to see some proof. Weaver's best season was last year, winning 14 games. 14!!! freakin' ismail valdez had done better. washburn is a proven winner, and a full point lower in ERA despite playing in DH ruled AL. I just done see how weaver is even equal in value, especially now Scott Boras is about to break somebody's bank with weaver's contract. do you really feel he's worth 12 mil/year he's asking? remember Keven Brown? Darren Dreifort? at least Washburn will cost about what weaver costed us last season. and remember, if weaver's best is 4.25 ERA in one of the greatest pitchers ballpark where Chan Ho Park became a star, what do you think Washbrun can do with 3.25 ERA?
I love everyone of dodger fans like family, and I gotta say, my friends, optimism is better than depression, much better... I may be trying too hard to see the light in these dark days of our lives, but there ALWAYS is a sunrise, it's just matter of time.

9:18 AM  
Blogger haileysdad said...

okay, I totally buy your argument that weaver will most likely stay healthy and give more innings, but with billingsley and jackson in AA, short term injury won't be a major blow.
we all know Frankie Macie is not going to spend $ like King George, then wouldn't it be more realistic that with 12-13 mil, it could be better spend on a starting pitcher AND a position player? I'm not saying we MUST have washburn, but more of a suggestion. it would be great to have likes of A.J. Burnett, but really, I just dont see that happening.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Roscoe said...

I agree with you, Jeff Weaver for 10-12 million a year isnt really a good investment.

However i think the dodgers need to aquire a solid pitcher.

My vote; Ted Lilly.

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
soft for windows software,news driver ,games
http://spdimon.info

Bye

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home